- 5-6 c. blueberries (1-2 quarts)
- 2 pie crusts (Pillsbury roll-out type)
- 1/2 c. flour
- 3/4 c. sugar
- Dash of salt
- 2-3 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. lemon peel or lemon zest (optional)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Put one pie crust into 9-10″ pie dish.
- Mix all ingredients except butter and put into pie.
- Cut up butter and dot pie with pieces.
- Use second pie crust to make a lattice top crust.
- Brush crust with egg whites.
- Cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Chicken Burgers with Feta Cheese and Spinach
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground chicken
- 3/4 c. crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 c. fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 c. Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 4 brioche buns
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, feta cheese, spinach, bread crumbs, egg, oil, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and Cajun seasoning and blend well.
- Form mixture into four burger patties.
- Grill burgers or bake in the oven until done to desired likeness making sure juices run clear.
- Serve on brioche buns with desired condiments along with lettuce, tomato, pickles and red onion.
Mascari’s Italian Green Bean Casserole
- 4 pods garlic, chopped finely
- 3 cans French-style green beans, drained (save juice)
- 2 c. Italian bread crumbs
- 1 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt, pepper, and oregano to taste
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- Mix all of the ingredients (except saved juice) in a casserole dish
- If dry consistency, add a bit of the juice to moisten – not too much
- Bake at 350º for 30 minutes and enjoy
Olive Cheese Bread
- French Bread
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 2 c. (8 oz.) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c. chopped black olives
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Green onions or onion powder to taste
- Cut French Bread
- Combine butter and mayonnaise
- Stir in remaining ingredients including green onions or onion powder
- Spread mixture on bread
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese melts. Pour a glass of wine and enjoy!
Nana’s Famous Stuffed Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 10 servings
Cooking Time: 1-2 Hours
- 2 1/2 – 3 lbs. mix ground chuck and ground beef
- 11 bell peppers, de-seeded and cut in half
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- Green onions, finely chopped
- Parsley, finely chopped
- 2 c. soft bread crumbs soaked in milk
- Tony Chachere’s to taste
- Red pepper to taste
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. garlic
- 1-2 Tbsp. oil
- In a large black iron pot, brown meat.
- Add vegetables and cook down until wilted in with the meat.
- Add bread crumbs and stir all together.
- Add green onions and parsley.
- At the same time, begin boiling a large pot of water for the bell pepper halves. Cook until you can easily pierce with a fork. Immediately take out and set aside.
- Stuff the peppers and place on a baking sheet. You may freeze or bake at this point.
- If you bake, sprinkle the tops with breadcrumbs and bake at 350° until warm.
Serving Size: 6-8
Cooking Time: 1 Hour
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. butter, softened
- Pinch of salt
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Pat out in a greased and floured 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350°.
- 4 eggs
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 6-8 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Rind of 1 lemon
- Powdered sugar
- Beat eggs slightly.
- Beat in sugar, lemon juice and rind.
- Pour on top of the crust as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Cook for 25 minutes more at 325°.
- Cool completely and cover with powdered sugar before cutting into squares.
Red & Green Leaf Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 4-6
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 head of red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 head of green leaf lettuce, chopped
- 4-5 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 purple onion, chopped
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 1 pkg. crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. Italian herbs
- Dash of garlic salt
- Dash of pepper
- 3 Tbsp. sugar or 3 packets of Equal (depending on taste)
- Combine greens, tomatoes, onion olives, and feta in a large bowl.
- Stir together ingredients for vinaigrette.
- Toss with greens right before serving.
Uncle Frank’s Red Gravy (Bolognese)
Serving Size: 8-10 Servings
Cooking Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- 1 – 6 oz. can good quality tomato paste
- 3 – 8 oz. cans of good quality tomato sauce
- 1 – 28 oz. large can good quality crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 lbs. ground sirloin, browned and drained (or mix of sirloin and veal)
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 c. sugar
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 c. water
- Sauté onions with 1/2 of the garlic.
- Add tomato paste and cook down for 10-15 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, browned meat, fresh basil, and remainder of garlic.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1/4 c. sugar to begin and add remainder of sugar as the gravy cooks down.
- Add water to thin the gravy as it cooks.
- Cook for one hour on low to medium heat.
- Serve family-style with good quality rigatoni or other pasta, cooked al dente.
- Garnish with freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano.