Strawberry Soda Pop Cake
- 1 box yellow or white cake mix
- 1 large pkg. or 2 small pkgs. strawberry Jell-O
- 1 c. strawberry soda
- 1 pkg. frozen strawberries
- 1 large container Cool Whip
- 1 pkg. vanilla pudding mix
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. While still warm and in the pan, puncture cake with end of a wooden spoon every couple of inches.
- Combine Jell-O, strawberry soda and frozen strawberries in a pot until Jell-O dissolves.
- Pour strawberry mixture over cake, filling in holes while the cake is still in the pan. Let cake completely cool. (I usually put the cake pan in the fridge to help the cake firm before removing from the pan.)
- Combine Cool Whip and package of vanilla pudding in a bowl. Once cake is completely cooled, spread the Cool Whip mixture on top and chill until time to serve.
- 5-6 c. blueberries (1-2 quarts)
- 2 pie crusts (Pillsbury roll-out type)
- 1/2 c. flour
- 3/4 c. sugar
- Dash of salt
- 2-3 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. lemon peel or lemon zest (optional)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Put one pie crust into 9-10″ pie dish.
- Mix all ingredients except butter and put into pie.
- Cut up butter and dot pie with pieces.
- Use second pie crust to make a lattice top crust.
- Brush crust with egg whites.
- Cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Chicken Burgers with Feta Cheese and Spinach
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground chicken
- 3/4 c. crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 c. fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 c. Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 4 brioche buns
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, feta cheese, spinach, bread crumbs, egg, oil, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and Cajun seasoning and blend well.
- Form mixture into four burger patties.
- Grill burgers or bake in the oven until done to desired likeness making sure juices run clear.
- Serve on brioche buns with desired condiments along with lettuce, tomato, pickles and red onion.
Mascari’s Italian Green Bean Casserole
- 4 pods garlic, chopped finely
- 3 cans French-style green beans, drained (save juice)
- 2 c. Italian bread crumbs
- 1 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt, pepper, and oregano to taste
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- Mix all of the ingredients (except saved juice) in a casserole dish
- If dry consistency, add a bit of the juice to moisten – not too much
- Bake at 350º for 30 minutes and enjoy
Olive Cheese Bread
- French Bread
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 2 c. (8 oz.) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c. chopped black olives
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Green onions or onion powder to taste
- Cut French Bread
- Combine butter and mayonnaise
- Stir in remaining ingredients including green onions or onion powder
- Spread mixture on bread
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese melts. Pour a glass of wine and enjoy!
Nana’s Famous Stuffed Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 10 servings
Cooking Time: 1-2 Hours
- 2 1/2 – 3 lbs. mix ground chuck and ground beef
- 11 bell peppers, de-seeded and cut in half
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- Green onions, finely chopped
- Parsley, finely chopped
- 2 c. soft bread crumbs soaked in milk
- Tony Chachere’s to taste
- Red pepper to taste
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. garlic
- 1-2 Tbsp. oil
- In a large black iron pot, brown meat.
- Add vegetables and cook down until wilted in with the meat.
- Add bread crumbs and stir all together.
- Add green onions and parsley.
- At the same time, begin boiling a large pot of water for the bell pepper halves. Cook until you can easily pierce with a fork. Immediately take out and set aside.
- Stuff the peppers and place on a baking sheet. You may freeze or bake at this point.
- If you bake, sprinkle the tops with breadcrumbs and bake at 350° until warm.
Serving Size: 6-8
Cooking Time: 1 Hour
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. butter, softened
- Pinch of salt
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Pat out in a greased and floured 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350°.
- 4 eggs
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 6-8 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Rind of 1 lemon
- Powdered sugar
- Beat eggs slightly.
- Beat in sugar, lemon juice and rind.
- Pour on top of the crust as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Cook for 25 minutes more at 325°.
- Cool completely and cover with powdered sugar before cutting into squares.
Red & Green Leaf Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 4-6
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 head of red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 head of green leaf lettuce, chopped
- 4-5 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 purple onion, chopped
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 1 pkg. crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. Italian herbs
- Dash of garlic salt
- Dash of pepper
- 3 Tbsp. sugar or 3 packets of Equal (depending on taste)
- Combine greens, tomatoes, onion olives, and feta in a large bowl.
- Stir together ingredients for vinaigrette.
- Toss with greens right before serving.
Uncle Frank’s Red Gravy (Bolognese)
Serving Size: 8-10 Servings
Cooking Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- 1 – 6 oz. can good quality tomato paste
- 3 – 8 oz. cans of good quality tomato sauce
- 1 – 28 oz. large can good quality crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 lbs. ground sirloin, browned and drained (or mix of sirloin and veal)
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 c. sugar
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 c. water
- Sauté onions with 1/2 of the garlic.
- Add tomato paste and cook down for 10-15 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, browned meat, fresh basil, and remainder of garlic.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1/4 c. sugar to begin and add remainder of sugar as the gravy cooks down.
- Add water to thin the gravy as it cooks.
- Cook for one hour on low to medium heat.
- Serve family-style with good quality rigatoni or other pasta, cooked al dente.
- Garnish with freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano.