Kean Miller Kitchen: Hazel’s Louisiana Seafood Gumbo
Hazel’s Louisiana Seafood Gumbo
Serving Size: 10-12
Cooking Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- 1 lb. smoked sausage (Manda’s Mild)
- 1 ½ lbs. okra, cooked and chopped
- 2 c. oil
- 2 c. flour
- 2 c. celery, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 c. bell pepper, chopped
- 1 – 16 oz. can tomato sauce
- 8 qt. homemade chicken stock
- 2-3 lbs. crabmeat
- 2 lbs. raw shrimp, small
- 3 lbs. raw shrimp medium
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. Louisiana Fish Fry Crawfish, Crab & Shrimp Boil liquid
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 8 bay leaves
- ½ c. parsley, finely chopped
- Cooked rice
- Brown sausage and grind in a food processor. Sauté cooked okra with a little oil and grind in food processor (if using frozen okra, follow package directions for cooking first).
- Brown your roux, which is the oil and flour, until it is the color of brown sugar.
- Add celery, onion, and bell pepper. Sauté until onions are clear.
- Add tomato sauce and cook for 20 minutes
over medium. Heat until the tomato sauce turns slightly brown.
- If the roux begins to stick, add some chicken stock. Add okra and sausage. Sauté until the ingredients are well mixed (about 10 minutes).
- Add chicken stock, crabmeat, shrimp, and remaining ingredients. Cook for 30 minutes on low or until shrimp are cooked.
- Serve over cooked rice.